Monday, September 29, 2008

Oops!

I'm faced with the unenviable task of having to relocate seven cords of wood. The distance is only about 150 feet, but it might was well be a mile away because I'm doing it all with a wheelbarrow and my hands. It's a bummer, but it's one of those things that has to be done and there's no sense in whining about it, though I want to whine, more than anything, I just want to whine.

We are in the process of having a septic system designed and constructed on the barn, and of course the septic system is slated to go right where our wood pile is. Total bummer, but it has to be done, so yesterday I started moving it, one cord at a time. And then, of course, it started to rain, getting our beautiful dry wood all wet. I was more bummed about that, but just seeing it start to unfold makes it okay. I'll keep at it today.

Thus far the clapboards have held up, but I'm not sure what that even means. The damage that occurs with water damage is slow and silent, so nothing is apparent. Either way, I'm still wary of letting it get soaked, so my concerns have led me to search for gravel. I just learned that gravel is what you use to prevent, or at least minimize, the splash on the side of your house. It's actually a cool idea, except that Marty used some sort of specialized red gravel and I can't seem to find it. The easiest thing would be to just give Marty a call, but I feel like we need some closure here, and I don't want to contact them unless it's urgent. Besides, it's probably not easy for them, not to mention a pain in the ass when I come calling. The search begins, yet another adventure in home improvement.

We lost electricity two nights ago and were forced to go to bed around 7:00. I actually got a really good night's sleep, though I still felt tired by the next afternoon. I shut the toilets off so as to not deplete the pressure tank, but for some reason when I turned them back on, the valve started leaking. At first I was worried the wax seal was compromised, which in retrospect made no sense since we didn't touch the thing, but later found out, through some detective work, that it was the intake valve. Of course, I'm not sure how to fix that.

I need to paint the south side of the house, as well, but I'm not sure if it's a bad time with Fall approaching, pardon my ignorance. I should just go out there and paint, damnit. Why am I such a pussy?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: