Saturday, September 13, 2008

Assorted Home Improvment and the Tunbridge Fair

Boy, it sure doesn't take much to lose track of your time and let things slide. I've been trying to focus on getting Audrey's portfolio and curriculum together, so I've let everything slide, and in the process have gotten nothing accomplished. Have also had to deal with all the parenting things and the social issues. It ain't easy.

One Wednesday night I went out drinking with my real men friends in South Royalton. There's a cool manly bar there called Crossroads that is filled with real men and students, probably from the nearby VT Law School, an interesting mix. The guy who owns the place is clearly a hunter, and his trophies adorn the walls. They have a wings and beer special, and the place is a favorite of Paul's, but I have to confess that it's a long way to go for a beer. I'd only been there once and was counting on my fried memory to get me back there. I drove along route 14 for miles and had two things going through my head-I hope to hell I can find this place, and it's a #&@^% way to go for a beer.

I found it, was only about 20 minutes late, and it was fun, though I managed to sneak in a non-alcoholic beer by going up the bar rather than ordering it through the bartender. I poured it into a glass as to appear like a real man. It fun, Gordy was there and he and Paul both are incredibly knowledgeable about building. I hate to be so annoying but ask many questions.

Since the past couple of days had brought us poor weather, my home improvement endeavors had come to a halt. The clapboards are finished and all I need to do is apply a second and perhaps third coat of stain. I've caulked the seams and done all that good stuff, but doubt if it's ready for the full onslaught of the weather.

The deck has been giving us problems from the get go, and replacing all the cedar is an expensive proposition. The biggest issue is that it leaks into the bulkhead, and the source seems to be the trap door. Too many cracks, and every time it rains I can see pools of water on the floor. I am attempting to seal the deck before Winter hits, covering it with a tarp is not an option, so we'll see. Have caulking gun, will travel. I ripped a few boards out, and they're history, though I'll probably pull out the nails, seal the holes, and just lay the boards over it. The poor man's way to do it.

I just wish the rain would stop.

And then there's the fair. We joined our friend Gary for the Tunbridge Fair, he used to a public defender out there, a fact that I still find interesting considering he's a Jewish lawyer from Yonkers and his wife is Japanese. How did they ever end up in rural town like Tunbridge? He's a local, though, and knows a lot of the local people, so I figured it would be fun to go with him.

He knew the back way to go, and we parked near the animals, which is the complete opposite of the previous year that we went. We barely made it to the animals, but stuck with the rides, instead. I think Gary likes the farm animal part because he can appreciate the value in it from a community as well as education POV. The kids were not as interested, and mainly wanted to go on the rides. The animals section definitely has more of the local flavor, and a lot of them knew Gary.

I was completely at a loss over how they evaluate the animals, they all looked healthy and robust to me, but I'm a city boy and a cow's a cow. We walked through the barns and saw everything, the kids enjoyed it but their minds were set on other things.

We watched a pot-bellied pig race, which was a scream, and then off to the ferris wheel and other assorted rides. The kids section was manageable, and it was there that we saw all our home school brethren, who were out in full force. Not just home schoolers, mind you, but many of them. It was nice to see them, and I met a few more. The rides were mellow and Audrey and Nicholas loved them, they couldn't get enough. The unlimited ride pass was the way to go, and they went over and over again. I worried that Nicholas might have some issues, but he was fine, and even went on some of the rides himself. He even rode the motorcycle with a babe on back, he looked like Marlon Brando.

And they went on the ferris wheel sans parents. They are growing so fast. Dinner consisted of two corn dogs each with a strawberry smoothie (a bit of fruit). Thankfully for lunch I gave them enough fruit to justify the corn dogs for dinner, and then it was off for more rides. In the end, that was what it was all about. The kids had fun, and by night fall it was time for us to go. I was worried that I couldn't find my way back, but it was pretty simple and straightforward, and we made it home to pick up Ruth with no problems. It was fun.

I'm finding that if I want to keep up this blogging, I'm going to have to do it at night. It's only way this will work. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: