Monday, September 1, 2008

Fall Plans

Wow, is it already September? I can't believe it, though I think we're in for a stretch of dry weather, so it's time to take care of house stuff. Yikes! When you're dealing with things as big as your house, the stakes are so much bigger, but you do what you gotta do.

I'm thankful that I've got my wood for the season, though I'm still a little stressed about next year. I know how stupid this sounds, but the wood situation is getting rough, and I know a few people who had a hard time finding it and had to pay to dollar. I'm set for this Winter, but what about next? The plan is to always have two seasons on hand, but it ain't easy, and would require having upwards of ten cords on hand. Not sure if that is doable, and I still want to find a self-made source, i.e., cutting it myself at bargain basement prices. I need a truck, and big one, or maybe even a small one would do.

Which brings me to my chainsaw. I still haven't gotten one, they still scare me, but it can't be avoided. I need to get one, and all roads seem to point to Husqavarna, if I spelled that right. My first thought was go cheap and small, but if I intend to cut any amount of wood in the future, I think I need to get the real deal. Besides, in terms of safety, I'm better off getting a good saw, not to mention all the safety equipment. I realize I may look stupid doing it, but you can't let ego get in the way of saving your body parts. This process will be an odyssey in itself, so stay tuned for more.

I did speak with Chip, my sensei, and he's interested in getting into the wood business, so he may be someone I'll turn to in the future, but first we've got to find some wood. I haven't written off the idea of getting log lengths and cutting it, but first I've got to get my chainsaw.

On other fronts, we've got a great forecast for the next week, and I've got no excuse but to get on house repair. The first thing will be to clean the deck. People always talk of getting a pressure nozzle but I'll do it the poor man's way, with a hose and a broom. If I can clean it in the morning and then let it dry all day, I can probably start sealing in the afternoon if it's dry and clear. The hard part will be to keep the kids off of it for a few days. Not an easy thing. I should work on the bulkhead door, as well, but one thing at a time, here, and I'll probably end up replacing the whole thing, anyway.

I also really need to get on those clapboards. My guess is that the first thing I should do is pre-stain the clapboard in the barn, then cut to size. The interesting part will be to get those clapboards off. Should I remove them first? Seems like it will leave it exposed, so I'll probably measure it out, cut and stain... no, I'll stain large pieces first, then cut and stain the edge. That will minimize the time of vulnerability. Can't forget to calk.

And let us not forget the corner panels. One of the biggest problems I face is knowing the nomenclature. Everything's got a name, and I know none of them. This makes it challenging when you go to the lumber yard of hardware store and makes it all the more critical to have the Harrys or the Rhetts there to hold my hand. Will work on that, as well, though I need to know if I have exterior latex white. Listen to me.

I did do a pretty good job on the picnic table, if I may say so myself, and I feel empowered. Lots of yard work, as well, in preparation for Fall. Can it be here, already? Hard to believe.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: