Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One Step At A Time

My disorganized nature in conjunction with my ignorance cause me a lot of angst, not to mention time and money. There seems to always be a multitude of things I need for home improvement, and I end up making forty trips to get each individual item. It doesn't help being so clueless. When you start from ground zero, you've got a lot of ground to make up, and there are a million and one tools out there that you've never even heard of but suddenly find you can't live without, and then you have to find the store that carries it.

I'm finding a rhythm, however, and it's satisfying to learn so much. AND, I'm building up my tool arsenal, one more step to being a real man. It may be long and inefficient, but I can't seem to work any other way. Also, it contributes to mess being so impressionable. Gary will tell me that the best Cat's Claws are the ones made in Japan, so I'll hold out on buying one until I find the right one. Also, not every place has what I need, or are sold out, or I've forgotten my list and didn't buy a necessary item. It's crazy, I tell you.

I am finding that I am warming up to places I didn't much like before. Home Depot isn't high up there on reliable customer service, but they are nice and they try, even if they are clueless. It's the effort that counts, right? Well, sort of. I don't dislike Lavalley's as much, they have better prices than Britton's, though they lack the patriarch and are not warm and fuzzy. They get the job done, are probably used to dealing with people in the know. Britton's is my favorite, but they let me down by blowing off my request to rip that plywood. Even still, I try to support them. And Fogg's is good for paint. Again, I'm impressionable.

I've mowed about 30% of the lawn, hope to get it done today, and finish the trip on the shelves. There's no way I'll get to staining it, but at least I can complete it unstained and raise it up. Working on the clapboards on the other side of the facade, feeling more confident but not yet competely capable.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: