Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day Back

Even though I have plenty of wood this Winter, I'm still stressing out over how the heck I'm going to get wood for next year. This situation is getting ridiculous, I've talked to people I know who have paid top dollar for cord wood, and it worries me. They are even pre-buying for next year. I should relax and have faith in Mike, he's a good man, and in the end, if things change for the worse, there's always a way. Have to adopt a more Vermont attitude and get over my city-neurosis, there's always a way and whatever the world throws at you, you've got no choice other than to just deal with it. And whatever you do, don't whine.

Things are moving along with the barn. Todd Hill, a true Vermonter, was here a few weeks ago and we dug test pits and measured the land for the septic plan. I helped him out and I think I was reasonably competent, for a Flatlander, that is. Todd's a great guy and I really like helping him because he's always willing to give me advice outside of his job, and he's a very knowledgeable, down to earth guy. I need all the help I can get.

With Fall on the horizon, I decided that there were things I needed to take care of, and it was time to be a real man and do real man things. The deck, oh that deck. Our poor cedar wood deck, though I'm taking it on faith that it's real cedar wood, at least that's what Marty said (she's the previous owner of this house and woman extraordinaire) and I believe her for two reason-first, she's an honest and honorable woman, whom BTW I respect immensely, and secondly, she didn't mess around with this house and did things the right way, so I know she used quality ingredients. That I firmly believe, but I could be deluding myself.

The deck is thrashed, little did I know that wood should be protected to some degree because even cedar will give way to the elements. Todd Hill actually said that white cedar is much more affordable to replace, but affordable is relative. I built shelves out of native pine, the cheapest wood you can get, and Ruth still tore me a new asshole over the cost, so if I went with buying good hardwood, she would surely have me killed. So I'm contemplating what to do, and am considering using a lesser wood, maybe spruce, and then staining and finishing/sealing it, but we'll see.

In the meantime, it needs help. The wood is falling apart, so I finished it with a penetrating sealer. I'm using (Kurt and Paul, please don't laugh) an all natural, soy-based sealer that I got on the Cape. It's non-toxic, if you can believe that. Not sure I do, but I'm going with the Ecoprocote Acri-soy sealer, anyway. I've been using their stuff and I like the non-toxic thing for stuff the kids will be around. I also need to work on the front porch steps, they are constantly doused with rain and are in need of repair.

I also am preparing for the big home improvement step-replacing clapboards. I primed the boards yesterday and will start the process of pulling the old one's off. We are supposed to get rain on Thursday so I need to start today. Could be interesing, always fun. A fun thing for the kids to watch their dad do.

Did loads of yardwork, in the prime of heat. It actually was a nice day because there was a steady wind and I wasn't too miserable. The lawn was a disaster, way to overgrown, and our poor Toro was working it's tail off, not to mention me. I managed to make it look somewhat reasonable, and have vowed to be more diligent about it.

I tried manicuring the blackberry bushes a bit, just so we can access them and walk around them, and today I will mow some more, trim some more bushes, and then set about removing as much goldenrod as I can. It prevents the other wild flowers from growing since it seems to take over.

Otherwise, life is good. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: