Monday, March 26, 2012

Ripped

There is a problem with the walls in the kitchen because of how they were originally framed. Because the studs are not flush with the foundation, one of two things needs to be done. Either the studs need to be extended out to meet the concrete, or when the time comes, the kitchen cabinets will need to be specially cut to fit in the notch. The decision was made by those in the know, (translation: not by me) that the easiest thing to do would be to extend the studs, and the best person to do it would be yours truly. Don’t you love when that happens?

This would require ripping eight foot lengths of rough 2X4s. KB said the wood was wet and my table saw probably wouldn’t be able to handle it. Hey, don’t talk about my table saw like that. The alternative method would be to lay the boards out and rip them with a rotary saw. The problem I have is that I am completely incapable of cutting in a straight line with one of those things. The table saw would be quicker and easier, it’s just an issue of power.

HH said I should at least give it a try on the table saw, and I’m inclined to agree with her, so I did. The boards are heavy, too, so it was going to be a challenge. I had N there to assist, and let me tell you, he helped a lot. Having another set of hands made a huge difference.

In the end, the saw worked beautifully. I was elated, not only because the job is done, but because my little Ryobi table saw did the job. I love that thing. Next up, nailing the boards, but the hard part is done, and like everything in life, it wasn’t as bad as I had built it up to be.

Quick side note, when working with a table saw, which scare me more than a chainsaw, you want your hands in contact with the wood as little as possible, because that blade is constantly spinning. People usually use a notched handle to push the wood forward, which helps to hold the piece down as the length extends forward. Not having such a tool, I came up with the brilliant idea to using a big wrench, and it worked fine, but our electrician stopped by and advised me not to use metal because if it hits the blade, it wouldn’t be pretty. I knew this, and was being careful, but it was embarrassing, nonetheless. He was cool about it and fashioned a special handle out of scrap wood. He even broke out his jig saw and fashioned a little handle, how cool is that?

I’m not sure when I’ll rip boards like that again, but at least I know my saw can handle the job, and I now have the proper accessories.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: