Friday, March 16, 2012

Barn Status Update

If you can believe it, the barn is cruising along. It’s amazing what a difference professional help can make, in pretty much all facets of life. Thus far, the walls and doors have all been framed out and the pipes are all in. In fact, KB has even connected the water main to the barn, so the plumbing is live. We have the toilets, but still need to get bathroom sinks, which we’ve been sitting on for months (we should be sitting on the toilets). Eventually we’ll have to deal with the kitchen, which could destroy me, but like all real men in training, sometimes you just have to deal with it.

The electricity is almost all wired in, there was just a problem with too much junk obstructing access, which has since been resolved (thank you). The electrical boxes have mostly been installed, and the wiring is up next. One problem that I didn’t think was an issue is the main wire leading to the barn. Apparently it’s too small to accommodate a dwelling, and now we’re going to have to run a bigger line over. This involves digging a trench, which I’m told is not a huge deal because it only has to be a couple of feet deep. Easy for a professional to say.

Either way, what has to be done, has to be done. Once the electrical is all done, we have to insulate, and then the drywall will go up. After that, I’m guessing the floor will get done, and then we have to think about kitchen cabinets. Yikes, tell me it isn’t so. How the heck do people design their own houses? It’s way too much to think about.

Just a side note, the insulation estimate came out outrageously high. Granted, a really accurate assessment would require that they come out and take measurements, but the rough number they gave me was well over $10,000 for the spray foam. No way, Jose. KB seems to discourage fiberglass, and on the one hand I understand, but our house is insulated with fiberglass, and it’s drafty but comfortable enough. We don’t need perfect insulation, especially with a boiler and wood stove. This aspect of the barn will be interesting. I only know spray foam ain’t gonna happen. I personally think fiberglass, but that’s the frugal side of me. I don’t want to argue too much with KB because he’ll beat me with his Estwing.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to nail in some joist supports, something my Mentor told me to do two years ago. If he’s reading this right now, he’s saying to himself, “I hate to say I told you so, but...”

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: