Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lawn Revelations

I realized that the key to making your lawn look good is cutting it short enough, but not too short. This has been alluded to me by several people in the know, but sometimes things don't really sink in until you actually put them into practice. As some of you may well know by now, we've been having lawncare woes over here. Weeds have taken over, and I acknowledge having blood on my hands on this one because I let the weeds get out of control, and now they own the place. The broad leaf weeds are indestructible without the use poisons, which are not an option, so my tact was to try to encourage the good stuff instead by seeding and fertilizing.

The front lawn is looking decent, where I focused my efforts, and maybe this fall, I can devote more time to the back. In the meantime, my approach has been to cut the grass long, which I read encourages grass while discouraging weeds, which prosper with flowers which seed and spread. So, I set the lawnmower to high and cut away.

The problem is, when you cut the grass long, it looks like nothing has been done to it. It still looks sloppy and not nicely coiffed. So I decided to forget about my strategy and cut it like I used to, short (but not too short) and sweet.

And you know what? It made all the difference. Now, despite the weeds, the grass actually looks halfway decent. I think even my Mentor would approve.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to ARL and NRL for the pic.

No comments: