Friday, May 14, 2010

Doors In, Fascia Coming Together

In what can be construed as nothing short of a miracle, we (JH and I) have managed to get all the doors in on the first floor. That's 4, count 'em, 4 doors. Doors are a little trickier than windows because not only are they much heavier, but you really have to get them in right. Otherwise, the darn door won't close properly. It's good that JH is there to instruct, because left to my own devices, I'd just stick the things in the RO and hold them in with glue and scotch tape.

I will say this - getting that French Door in was a nightmare. It took us well over two hours just fiddling with that thing, shimming it left and right. It seemed as if we'd adjust one thing only to mess up another, and it took a lot of back and forth before the gaps were even. At some point I felt like saying, "Forget about it, nobody is going to use this door, anyway." But that's no way for a real man (or one in training) to talk, now is it? My Mentor would most assuredly agree.

So the first floor is almost done as far as doors and windows. Just one more window, which is on order. We still need to choose door knobs, which could take years. Once that final window is in, I need to finish the fascia and install a soffit, and the house is sealed, at least on the first floor. I have to confront the entire second floor, including the dormers, but I'll leave that for another time. Let me enjoy this moment while I can.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: