Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oops!

I tried to impress GD with my Sawzall prowess, and screwed up in the process. The guy knows what he’s doing and probably just chuckles when I try to do real man’s work, but you have to start somewhere, right? He is in the process of installing light boxes in the ceiling, and he asked me where we wanted them. Like I know the answer to that? I told him some locations, but after putting one in the dining area, I thought it was a little off, so I took the initiative and cut it out and moved it over. Little did I realize that the strapping that flanked the box was purely for reference so that he would know how low to put the box relative to the sheet rock that would eventually be there. I thought it was structural, and almost nailed them in. That would have been really embarrassing.

As it is, I placed the box too low, and will again have to cut it out and move it up. Good thing I have my reciprocating saw, it sure comes in handy. Another thing I screwed up was using the excess 2in rough cut, or what I thought was excess. I had all these boards that I ripped left over, so I figured I’d build a hockey net. What else is there in life?

Well, GD told me that I’d need to do more extending along the walls, so I’ll need more 2in blocking. I have two 8 ft pieces left, which might be enough, at least to do the windows. Otherwise, I have some smaller pieces that I can nail in end-to-end, and I also have another rough cut 2X4 that I can rip, but let’s wait and see, shall we?

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: