Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Axe to Grind

In the content quest to heat our home, there are countless jobs that need to be done, and one of them is having enough kindling. Not an easy job considering that we go through so much of it. Plus, I tend to be frugal with kindling, because you don’t need that much to get the wood started, while other people in this house like to pile the stuff on. It’s easy when you’re not the one making the stuff, but I’m not complaining, because I’m grateful that other people take the initiative to get the fire going.

Plus, I’m not the only one who makes kindling. The kids love to help, especially N, who is embracing real man duties at an early age. I tell the kids to always hold the hatchet with both hands. Speaking of hatchets, ours is starting to fall apart, a common occurrence with wood handles. This is the third one we’ve had. At some point, the head starts to fall off the handle, and it’s a little precarious swinging an axe with a loose handle. At some point I decided to get a hatchet that was a solid piece of metal, and I finally accomplished said goal.

I got a nifty new Estwing axe, and the thing is too cool. It’s a heck of lot sharper than the old one, and since it’s a solid piece of metal, there’s no worry about the head flying off. My Mentor and PR would be proud that I went with quality over dirt cheap. Now I’m even excited about making kindling, sort of.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: