Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Suffering From Complacency

We were feeling pretty good about ourselves and the measures we had taken to keep the woodchuck out of the garden, when suddenly he was back, and with a vengeance. I should have impaled him when I had the chance. The thing that kills us is that he really went to town, eating up a lot of the beans and doing major damage to the cabbage. Our soybeans are pretty much toast, and R is at the end of her rope.

I went down and did some further mending to the deer fence, but at some point you begin to wonder if it's worth it. The battles are exhausting, not to mention seemingly futile and frustrating to no end. Then again, we could always exterminate the guy. In fact, if the situation continues, that is exactly what I'm going to do. Our good friend WM is a farmer and trapper/hunter, and an expert at all three. He has several gardens and said he's trapped a dozen skunks and almost as many woodchucks in his field. I think I'll seek his advice.

In meantime, we'll watch and wait. It is really discouraging when you walk down to the garden and see that the woodchuck has done a number on the veggies. There are so many plants out there, why ours? I know, stupid question.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to naranja for the pic.

No comments: