Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stumped on the Barn Doors

In a good example of "so close, yet so far," JH came over the other day ready to install doors, and they ROs ended up being just a touch too big. I need to shorten all of them by about an inch or two, enough to make a difference and create a gap where our biggest enemy, water droplets, can sneak in. So, we instead spent the day fitting all of the doors and seeing what needed to be done. I recorded the difference and will add more wood.

The debate came up about whether or not to use PT wood. The sill is PT, and in certain places, the frame above it is PT, but I don't think that's what S&MG did. The frame that rests above the PT sill is rough cut, so in one door, I did the same.

Either way, JH recommended using PT since it will get exposed to water, but now I have to get it, and I hate cutting that stuff. He mentioned that we could get around it by adding the wood to the top of the frame, thereby eliminating the need to use PT wood, and at the time, don't ask me why, I declined that option.

In retrospect, I think it's the way to go. That way, I can use the wood I have and take care of it before next Thursday. Amazing what a day or two of thought can accomplish.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

doors too small
debate over PT wood
embarrassed by mess, will clean
finished shelf, need backing

No comments: