Saturday, April 10, 2010

Roof Issues Bumming Me Out

This bums me out to no end, but I've just discovered that I have to deal with an issue that I was hoping to put off for at least another 5 to 10 years - I need to replace the trim near the roof on the back of the house, as well as replace the fascia on the barn. Both projects will require that I scale to new heights and do the work standing on a ladder. Bummer.

The house project is something that needs to be done. Because we get such bad icicles on the backside, the wood trim has rotted, fairly badly in some spots. This could have been avoided, or at least lessened to some degree, had I been more vigilant about painting the wood, but it took me two years just to get an extension ladder, so live and learn. The piece of wood is a strip of 1x2 lumber that spans the entire roof. The roof shingles are flexible, so I can push it up and get to the wood underneath. This wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the fact that I have to work about 25 feet off the ground, on a wobbly ladder, while holding a beer in one hand... just kidding about the beer.

Then I have to paint it. The fun never stops. It's a good thing I got a new ladder.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: