Saturday, April 24, 2010

More Fascia, Cleaning Up and the Lawn

The fascia on the gable side of the house was much harder to remove because not only is it nailed to the rafters, but it's attached to the roof, as well. Imagine my surprise when I removed the nails attaching it to the beams, and the darn thing wouldn't fall down. I had to pry the thing off from the roof, which wouldn't have been so bad if not for the fact that I was nearly 30 feet off the ground on a shaky ladder. Bummer. I got the fascia off, finally, but not before destroying the drip shield attached to it - it's just a thin piece of flashing. I spoke with the roofers and they said they would put a new one on, and if I wanted to, I could simply remove the thing. Easier said than done, but at least my path of destruction won't have too serious a consequence... I hope.

I'm also embarrassed by the level of mess that has accumulated in the barn, but only because when JH comes over to help, he has to maneuver around all the clutter. I think this is what keeps R from visiting the structure, the mess would send her into shock, so she wisely just avoids it. It's a good thing my Mentor isn't around to see it, he'd have a cow. My brother-in-law, PR, as well, but thankfully they're all a few area codes away. I want to clean up, but I just can't find the wherewithal to pull it off. One day.

In the meantime, there are windows to remove on the second floor, windows to order to replace them, not to mention a 2nd story door to put in. What were we thinking installing a door on the 2nd floor?

For all it's worth, I did finally mow the lawn, and since we put so much effort in restoring it, I didn't want to hack it too short, so I set the mower on high, which did absolutely nothing to the grass. I had to set it lower to get any effect, and it did look better, though I still think the grass is a work in progress. Kind of like everything in life.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to NRL for the pics.

No comments: