In a move that is sure to amuse my Mentor, we are going to get new windows in place of the old ones that were left on the barn. We decided this, at the recommendation of PR and RR, after we had kicked and screamed to keep the old windows. They still seem perfectly functional to me, though after putting the new windows in, I can understand their shortcomings. Even still, I hate to think that they are a complete washout. We'll have to find something to do with them, or at least sell them. And I'm still holding out hope that we'll find a place for them on the barn, but we'll see.
In the meantime, that means more framing/sheathing, as well as getting new windows. Since this is the back of the barn, and now that we're framing pros over here, it should be a piece of cake... yeah, right. I do find it less intimidating, however, though the second story will present some challenges. I was so happy that we were going to leave it be, now I've got to get up on the roof and pull out the windows, after all.
Another bright note is that instead of having to order the windows, I'm going with what Home Depot has in stock. They aren't the perfect fit, which again means I'll have to re-frame, but they're a heck of a lot cheaper (about half the price), and I'm not locked in. I.e., I can return/exchange them since they aren't a special order. Something about not having to commit that appeals to me, maybe it's a guy thing.
With this in mind, I went to HD and got all the windows I'll need for the first floor. We are set, so it's just a question of getting it done. The doors and windows are in the house, they just need to be put in. A minor technical detail. Besides, I can always beg PR to come for a visit and he can do it with his eyes closed.
Until the next time, thanks for reading.