Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting Man's Work Done

One of the small projects that I finally finished was improving the shelf under the small counter near the fridge. It's such a small project, but one I'd put off for months. I finally just did it, and boy am I glad I did. One less reminder of what a slacker I am. But first, a little backstory.

Our kitchen was not designed for normal human use. It's so small and cramped, and there is not enough counter or shelf space for someone who cooks a lot, which I gather was the case when they designed it. We are always scrambling for places to stow pots and pans and assorted bottles. It gets crazy, especially for a klutz like me who tends to plow right through things, knocking over or breaking anything in my path. So I built a shelf. The problem with the original design was that I made it with two shelves, and it was not an efficient use of space.

In order to maximize efficiency, a real man quality if there ever was one, I rebuilt the thing and added a shelf. Et Voila, more storage space. I actually ran out of wood and was about to run to the lumber yard for more, but then just used a shorter piece for the top shelf. I sort of liked the end result, so serendipity was on my side.

Also, in a nice attention to detail that would surely make Bob Vila proud, or at least my Mentor, or maybe even PR, I counter-sank the screw holes and put in little button-like dowels to hide the screws. Clearly I've graduated from being a framer to a bona fide cabinet maker. Just wait until you see the spice rack I'm making.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: