Monday, November 17, 2008

Back Home In Vermont

We had a great trip, chronicled in our travel blog, but it was not without its fair share of challenges. We'd weathered one storm after another, but it is never bad enough to discourage us from traveling. It really means that much to us.

But now we're back, and man oh man does it feel good to be home again in Vermont. I love this place. The weather was surprisingly warm when we arrived, high 60's in fact, and though I love the cold weather, maybe it was for the best that it was mild when we arrived. It made it that much easier to get back home because it was not as uncomfortable for Audrey and Nicholas, whom after 24 hours of travel were sound asleep.

Now that we're back, there are still things to be done around the home. The ground is not yet frozen solid, so I may still have time til the soil and get the leaves and compost into the ground. I finished about half of hit yesterday, but man was it a chore, and I found myself wavering on my pledge to do things the hard way as the temptation to borrow Paul's tiller kept running through my head. But I persevered, and feel better for it. There's still a lot to do, however.

The cold is beginning to creep back and though it's hovering around a balmy 35 degrees, it's slated to drop below 20 in the coming days, not to mention a bit of snow. We still have to get our snow tires, though we do have good all season radials, which should buy us a little time, though not much.

On the home improvement front, we came home to a problem that requires my attention-the darn toilet intake is leaking, and needs to be replaced. It was inevitable that we'd reach this juncture because the valve had developed a slow leak over time, and now it's just coming out much faster. Bummer. The thing is, I'm not sure what to do, so I'm going to have to a little research in the meantime, with the inevitable consultation with Kurt, my source for all home building information.

Unfortunately, it puts the toilet a bit out of commission. It still works fine, it just doesn't refill properly and consequently, discourages everyone from wanting to use it. Such is life, I'll get on it as soon as possible.

Did I mention how nice it is to be back home? Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: