Thursday, November 20, 2008

Call Me the Invisible Man

Sometimes I feel like Ralph Ellison. What is it about contractors, they must have the upper hand because they blow me off like I was a nobody. Then again, I am a nobody, but do they want my money, or what? In all fairness, I did speak with the two excavators about the septic design, and after about three weeks, I finally did get a quote on paper for the septic system, but we're getting into Winter and I'm wondering if at some point it will be too cold to build the damn thing. Then again, I've been told that with modern equipment, they can pretty much dig through concrete. We shall see.

And in all fairness, there seems to have been a big mis-communication. One guy blamed his wife for not sending it, another said he was awaiting word from me. Whatever. I just need the damn paperwork to show to Bob.

We did a water test as well, just a preliminary one to see if we had elevated coliform levels, before we did the big state test, and once again, Brian blew me off. I asked him to call me and I'd come by and pick up the results, and nothing. What's a guy to do?

I'm not going to whine about it, because that's the not the Vermont real-man way, but suffice it to say that it's a bit frustrating when things are at a standstill. Then again, do we really want this thing to be done? Careful what you wish for, and all.

The weather has been getting frigid cold, and man is it tough to wake up in the morning. Thank goodness for our woodstove, I love that thing. I love getting it started and feeling the heat when the room is ice cold. It's really a satisfying thing, and one of the many things I love about Vermont. With the season comes hunting, as well, and though I have no issues with hunting, per se, I am acutely aware of people with guns walking around the woods and shooting anything that moves.

We makes sure we wear bright colors near the treeline, but I'd just as soon avoid the woods altogether. My karate sensei is a big time hunter, and when we're in class, that's all everybody talks about, and my Flatlander status really begins to shine through. I don't know what to add to the discussion, so I just keep my mouth shut. Even the women seem to be big fans. They look at me and shake their heads and think, go back to the concrete jungle, city boy... just kidding.

Thanksgiving is around the corner, as well, and then Christmas. I can't believe it. The season is a bit of a somber one, though, with the current state of the world what it is, but somehow, as long as your with family and friends, everything is gonna be all right.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: