Friday, May 11, 2012

Searching For Wires

The Dig Safe guys came and went, and didn’t really accomplish what we had hoped they would. It was partly our fault, we didn’t clearly define our area of interest, but the end result is that I was going to have to do some exploratory digging to find any live wires. Best of all, I was going to have to do it by hand, with my Martha Stewart shovel, no less.

I obviously has some idea of where the wires would be, so I started digging. Finding the wire to the light was not so bad, it was shallow, but the main line going to the outlet in the middle of the driveway was going to be a little trickier because it’s deeper and more significant. What makes it a delicate operation is that you don’t want to severe the wire, so I had to take it slowly. It’s also deep, at least two feet, I believe.

In the end, I couldn’t really find it. I went two feet down, and then started moving laterally, but no wire. At some point I stopped because I wasn’t sure how much I should rip up the front yard, even though we’re going to tear it up with the ditch witch. Whatever my excuse is, I’m sure it won’t fly with KB and GD. Then again, that’s what happens when you send a boy in to do a man’s job.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: