Saturday, May 5, 2012

More Shelves

As the saying goes, one good turn deserves another, or in this case, one good rout. I made some shelves using my trusty router, and not only was it fun, but they got rave reviews. It isn’t fine cabinetry, but it’s a step above what I’ve made in the past, and it’s not too shabby. Most importantly, R and the kids appreciate them, and have asked for more.

Now I originally built a large one for N because I thought his was falling apart, but I misunderstood that he needed to replace the smaller ones by his bed. His big one where he keeps his clothes is in fine working condition. A ended up with the big shelf, and that worked out beautifully because she really needs a place to put her clothes, and now she has something. She’s pretty keen on it. She could also use a long one by her bed to put on her knick-knacks and assorted objects of interest.

That, however, doesn’t address the problem of N, whose shelf fell apart. With this in mind, we headed over to Home Depot and got the lumber and necessary supplies. Since we are constrained by the carrying capacity of our car, I could only get about 30 feet of lumber, when in fact I could use much more to do all the things I need to do. It’s kind of funny, actually. In an ideal world, I would have bought 6 foot 1X12 pine boards, but in order to transport them, I’d need to lean the front seat all the way back and lay them down. I can’t do this with two kids in tow, so I opted for 8 foot boards that I had cut in half, which fit beautifully in front seat. In a pinch, I could tie them to the roof rack.

Now I have enough wood to build one more, and maybe two, shelves. I also plan on building some for the bathroom. I can’t wait, you just can’t beat doing real man’s work when you’re a real man in training.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: