Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Gentle Touch

We were having some problems with our sink, and it was sort of driving everyone crazy in the way that dripping faucets can drive anyone crazy. The problem was strange because it was very inconsistent. Often the sink was fine, but occasionally it wouldn’t stop flowing, and would even come out in a stream after the valve was shut. It would take several tries before finding the perfect position to stop the water. I had taken the faucet apart several time to check the seals, but all seemed in order. I was pondering replacing the thing.

After some discussion with R, the idea was put forth that the problem was not with the sink, but with the person handling it, i.e., me. I was being too rough on it, and should be more gentle when I pushed the handle down. How could that be? Normally I wouldn’t believe such a thing, but I decided to give it a try, and sure enough, it worked. My skepticism was put to rest when I saw it with my own two eyes. I still found it hard to believe, but eventually I had to accept the fact that I was the problem. Don’t you hate when that happens?

Oh well, at least we don’t need a new faucet, and that makes it all worthwhile. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: