Thursday, May 10, 2012

Safe Digging

Now I didn’t realize this, but you’re supposed to contact the people at Dig Safe before you dig a trench, or for that matter, just a hole. The ground is filled with wires, gas lines, pipes and other good stuff, so you don’t want to hit something dangerous with your shovel or tractor. For the record, I don't recall anybody coming before they tested the soil for the septic tank, and for that matter, when they installed the tank and system, but that's all in the past.

KB told me to give them a call and set things up, so I did, and they said they’d be there by Wednesday. Sure enough, they came on Tuesday, but they didn’t mark any of the ground wires in the path we were interested in. In all fairness, KB said he’d mark the way, but didn’t, so they didn’t know where we were headed.

GD was there while they were there, so I should have had him come out and chat with them, my bad. The end result is that the guys didn’t do what we needed them to do, and now I have to go out there and locate ground wires. Bummer.

Hopefully I won’t hit anything that explodes or is carrying 2000 volts. Plus, it’s been raining for the past week, which complicates matters. Oh well, this is when the real man show their true colors, right? At least that’s what I’ve been told.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Paul Keleher for the pic.

No comments: