Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hartland Winter Fest, Skiing w/Our Neighbors, and Blue Belts

We're already knee deep into February and it's time to start thinking, not heavily, mind you, about getting wood for the Spring to split and stack. I'm always searching for a good source of wood, and my quest will never end, but more on this in the Spring. There's still seven feet of snow on the ground.

This weekend is Hartland's Winter Fest, and we didn't make it last year and will try to make it today, but there's always so much going on since Saturdays are market/Hanover days. I will say this, it wouldn't break my heart to skip Occom Pond for a day, but we shall see. Several of our friends are not only going to be there, but are actually going to be involved with various things like ice sculpture contests and chili cookoffs. It should be a lot of fun, though perhaps a little nutty, but a community event that Audrey and Nicholas are sure to enjoy.

We went skiing yesterday at the Quechee Hill, and I can't stress how much we love that place. Besides the fact that the grooming of the hill is first-rate, the people who work the hill are so cool, especially in lieu of the fact that they have to deal with second homeowners all weekend long. They can grate on your nerves. Then again, full time homeowners/parents can get pretty grating, as well, and calls for a lot of patience. Either way, as a former west-coast skier, I give them high marks all around. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, place to learn how to ski with the family. Though I'm not familiar with it, I'm told the ski school is excellent. We love that place.

And, we get the best of both worlds. Since they open on Fridays, we got there early and were literally amongst five or six people on the hill. We practically owned the place. After skiing on our own for much of the morning, the locals show up in full force in the afternoon, and we get to see all of our friends. It's really a nice setup, I can't say enough good things.

I'm in the process of training for my blue belt, and the intensive bo-kata training has mellowed out a bit because Master Hammond is focusing on Robert's black belt test. My practicing last week really paid off in class as I knew my one-step spars and my katas, though my bo-kata needs work. Also need to practice certain kicks and drills, but I know the score.

The testing is coming up, and apparently there's a contest in our future, though I'm not sure what to make of that. Just have to keep practicing and keep my mind on the important details.

Filed the permit with the city, so we are officially in the books for our septic system. And it only took six months!

Until the next time, my name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: