Monday, February 2, 2009

Crashing and Burning w/the Hartland Winter Trails

In the interest of helping out the community and being a good neighbor, I seem to be crashing and burning, though my intentions are there... at least in my mind. We are so lucky to have Hartland Winter Trails, who do an amazing job of maintaining the XC ski trails and ask for nothing in return. It really is about community involvement, either with your hands or your pocketbooks, and I've failed at both.

Case in point - the other day at the XC day, Andrea was serving cookies and hot chocolate and there was a donation box which I assumed was for the cookies, but in the end surmised was for helping out the trails. I only put a couple of dollars in thinking it would pay for two hot chocolates, but I noticed other people were putting writing checks! I felt kind of stupid, and want to rectify that one. Easy enough, if I weren't so broke.

My second screw up was in lending a helping hand. I am always offering to help out, but talk is cheap, and rather than saying it, I should just do it. Case in point, the other day when we had about 18 inches of snow, I forgot to clear the trail that went through our driveway. In all fairness, I was slaving away at shoveling our own yard and clearing the wood pile, but I felt bad that they were the ones who ended up working on the trail. I could have easily helped out and didn't.

Oh well, can't dwell on it, I've got to look forward, learn from the experience, and just do it right the next time, right? Then again, at least for me, it's often easier said than done.

Until the next time, my name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: