Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Busted at the Quechee Hill

I've got to confess to being a bad person at the Quechee Hill. We've been skiing there this whole season and most of the time we haven't been purchasing lift tickets. Not that there is any justification for our chicanery, but most of the time we only ski for an hour or two, and then go home, so it's hardly worth spending the money for an entire day.

Now that Audrey and Nicholas love to ski, we're spending more and more time on the hill, and the era of free rides is over, much as it should be. The reality is, I just figured nobody cared. We never had lift tickets and nobody said anything, but clearly they were noticing. I'm familiar with most of the guys who work the lift, and figured they didn't care and it wasn't such a big deal, but the other day Mike said he'd get me some comp tickets, and it really struck me. They not only notice, but I'm skating on thin ice over here. In retrospect, I noticed that some of the guys gave me dirty looks when I got on the chair, rightfully so, but I just figured that if nobody said anything, then all was well.

But something smells afoul in Denmark, and from here on in, we're going to have to buy lift tix. Kind of a bummer, but the right thing to do. And now I don't have to feel like a loser who is trying to buck the system. There is something refreshing about being official, however, and in the end, it's setting the proper example for your kids.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: