Friday, February 27, 2009

Crazy Weather and Coming Through For My Mentor

Sometimes you just can't explain things to certain people, and I don't mean this with any disrespect. Yesterday I took GL's truck in for his yearly inspection because it had been expired since October, which meant that driving it was running the risk of being pulled over and busted. I told GL that I'd be happy to do it since it was parked at our house, and making it legit meant that, in the event that we needed it in a pinch, it would be road ready. The guy at the shop couldn't understand why I would be doing something for GL without him paying me, and the funny thing is, my perspective is the exact opposite. It's not about the money, because there is none, but because GL is our good friend and my mentor for becoming a real man. I guess you just can't explain these things, but our friendship has grown to the point where I don't want GL's money because he's come through for us in so many ways that I'm happy to help him.

Either way, it's personal, and because of that, cannot be fully explained to someone on the outside. Maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.

For the record, the process of getting the truck inspected was a complete rigmarole, even though the thing is practically new and in good condition. The main problem is that some of the paperwork was missing, and I had to sit there and wait until the offices opened up so that the inspectors could get proper documentation. Sometimes even the most competent of people need a little hand-holding. I finally ended up just driving over to the office and getting a hard copy by hand. The person behind the desk was one of those nervous, easily flustered types who panics and shuts down. As she explained to me in detail why she hadn't faxed the paperwork over, I kept thinking, it doesn't matter, just give me the paperwork and let me be on my way.

Just goes to show you, sometimes you have to do the legwork yourself to get things done. Otherwise you just sit around relying on other people while you twiddle your thumbs, and nothing gets done.

BTW, what's up with this crazy weather? It's as if Spring were on it's way... but wait, it is. And it's showing. It's supposed to be in the 40's today, w/rain, and all of our beautiful snow will be compromised. Total bummer, but the idea of warm weather and sun and grass is appealing, even if I'm reluctant to say goodbye to skiing. Such is life, I'm grateful for the season we had, and the kids just took off. You don't get opportunities like this too often.

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I can take on the home improvement stuff that had to wait until the snow cleared, including fixing the clapboards on the back of the house (a gargantuan job), painting the trim all over, painting the two south facing sides of the house, repairing the gables (I love sounding like I know what I'm doing) on the front dormers, and of course, the barn.

For now, I'll try to finish the bookcases I started last year. They're just sitting there. AND, I've got to get firewood.

Life in New England, the fun never stops, and you've got to love it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: