Thursday, May 26, 2011

Yard Work

One thing that was in the back of my mind when we left was the lawn. I figured that it was going to grow a bit out of control while we were away, and sure enough, it did, but not as horribly as I thought it would. Sure, it was badly in need of cutting, but I thought it would be up to my knees by now. On the one hand, the rains encouraged growth, but on the other, there has been no sun, so that worked in our favor. The grass by the barn, which they seeded when they put in the septic, was a bit more out of control.

Now the constant rain that we’ve been having makes it a little more challenging to mow because cutting wet grass is not an optimal thing, but you do what you gotta do, and I gotta cut that grass. It wasn’t as bad as I thought, though, but I think I really need to stay on top of it.

I also fired up the weed whacker, which also, thankfully started up. It amazes me when that happens. I think the whacker will be put to good use this summer, because not only are there plenty of hard to reach places that the mower can’t reach, but we plan to use it to keep the garden in check, if we ever get that thing up and running. With the weather the way it is, planting is hard, and I think the entire area is a little behind in their planting. I also want to keep the wildflower area a little more groomed. I like the wildflowers, but we tend to get a lot of these waist high weeds, and it looks a bit unkempt. We can’t have that, now can we?

One big project we are going to undertake is rejuvenating our blueberries, but more on that later. If we can get that going, along with our blackberries, life will be good. Throw in some fruit trees (cherries, pears, apples), and I think we would have the makings of a pretty cool yard, not that it isn’t cool already.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: