Thursday, November 26, 2009

Windows on Black Friday

In a classic example of not knowing anything until you at least try, I managed to pick up our big casement window, and all by my lonesome, sort of. When we ordered our windows, which in and of itself was hard because of the finality of it all (i.e., you'd better make sure of what you want), I had this idea in my head that the big window for the kitchen would be way too big for me to move. I even arranged for my friend GS with a truck to help me move it on perhaps the worst possible day, the Friday after Thanksgiving when it's every good American's duty to go out and shop. Needless to say, I was dreading going into town and battling traffic. Plus, GS had family over for the holidays, so I couldn't say for sure when he would be able help me, and I couldn't rush him. We had tentatively planned on going in the afternoon, again, probably the worst possible time.

Anyway, as I thought it over, I began to wonder if the window, which over 6 feet long, might actually fit in the Explorer, my Mentor's car that has literally saved our hides on a number of occasions. I measured it out, and believe it or not, it seemed big enough. You could fit a horse back there. It was still early morning, the time I would have preferred going to avoid the rush, so I decided to go for it. No sense wasting time fretting over things that haven't happened yet, right? Then again, that's the story of my life.

I went and picked up the window, the guys at HD helped me get it into the car (BTW, the customer service there has improved dramatically) and sure enough, it fit perfectly. I love that car. Who cares if it only gets 10 mpg, it's like having a truck. I brought the windows home and R helped me move it into the barn, which was fairly easy, too. Now all I have to do is install them, but I'll worry about that when the time comes. Or better yet, worry about it now, before I even need to, my MO, after all.

It's amazing anything gets done around here.

Just a quick note, a lot of things wouldn't have been accomplished if not for the use of my Mentor's car, the Explorer. Thanks a bunch to him for letting us borrow it. It saved us when my in-laws came, it's saved us on a number of occasions (too many to count) in terms of getting supplies for the barn. I could go on for days, but suffice it to say, life is better when you have two cars, or at least can borrow one.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to Asif Akbar for the pic.

No comments: