Friday, November 20, 2009

The Future's Here, We Are It, We Are On Our Own

Had to quote the Dead at this appropriate moment. It is with a heavy heart that I bid adieu to my Mentor as he soon heads off for the wilds of Northern Maine. I have to confess, it makes me sad to see him go, though I realize this clashes with my real man training. Then again, it's yet another rite of passage as I embark on the journey to manhood.

Plus, not only will I see him come Spring, but I'll be able to inundate him with inquiries throughout the long, cold Maine Winter via email and telephone. So it could be a lot worse. It sort of reminds me of when A was first born and R's mom JR came to stay with us in NYC. It was fun having her there, not to mention comforting to be in the presence of hand of experience, so much so that when it came time for her to leave, I was prepared to throw my body in front of the taxi cab to prevent her departure.

Not that I would do that to my Mentor, nor would he want me to. Besides, you couldn't get a cab here if your life depended on it. Whatever be the case, even though the realization that you're on your own is a heavy blow, you just deal with it, and life goes on, much in the way that it should. That doesn't mean it's easy, but who said being a real man was easy?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Felix atsoram for the pic.

No comments: