Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soffit Progress

Not to sound like a broken record (too late?), but because we didn’t have to spend our days in dumpling hell, I was able to spend a day working on the barn. It was a miserable task, but it sure felt good to get it all done. I have to install a soffit on the back end, and before I do that, I have to install something for the soffit to nail into. I was told that normally you cut the joists so that the soffit attaches directly to that, but no such luck in this instance. Like the front, I was going to have to install a strip of wood spanning the entire distance.

It is easy enough nailing strapping onto the sheathing, but you also have to install it onto the fascia, and because these boards are nailed into the joists, it’s best not to nail the strapping onto the fascia boards because you might knock them out. Does this make any sense?

What this entails is screwing the strapping into the fascia, and even this wouldn’t be so horrible, except that I can’t screw in long pieces of strapping because the joists reach down to low. So, I had to cut about 45 individual pieces of strapping about 14 inches long to fit in between every single joist. To add to the fun, I don’t have a cordless drill, the one I have is a piece of junk, so I had to do all this with an extremely long extension cord.

In the end, I got it done, and it was one of the tasks I was dreading enough that I simply avoided it and hoped it would go away. Then again, that’s how I feel about a lot of things. Next up, cutting the soffit to size and drilling about a million holes in the boards for ventilation. Will the fun ever stop?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: