Monday, January 31, 2011

New Shovel

When you're training to be a real man, sometimes life boils down to the little things. Case in point, our new snow shovel.

With all the stuff going on in our lives, I forgot to mention to talk about it, and we’re all so excited that we can hardly contain ourselves. For the past three years I’d been using what I believe is a grain shovel to clear the snow, and it’s worked out well. It’s sturdy and not too big so that each load is breaking my back. It may seem at first that the wider the blade, the better, but sometimes you can get too much of a good thing, and it’s not only heavy, but hard to balance. You end up working harder and being less efficient.

The biggest problem I have with our current shovel is that it’s not as efficient at pushing snow out of the way, especially in the driveway. Ideally what I wanted was a handheld plow, though I’m not sure what you call them. They are these big shovels with huge handles that you just push along in your driveway, and they seem to work great. The next best thing to having a tractor. I see them all over, everyone’s got one, though they can be expensive.

Instead, I opted for a basic snow shovel with a metal edge. It’s wider than ours. Not too crazy to make shoveling hard, but big enough to make pushing snow along more efficient. In other words, not the perfect solution, but better than the current situation, which is good enough for me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading

No comments: