Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tiny Steps and Substitute Teaching

I am making tiny steps towards dealing with my woodpile and at the very least, the end goal is becoming more tangible. I got my chaps, I'm now shopping for a pair of boots, steel toed with a kevlar lining, though I'm not sure how much I'll need that. I figure it I'm going with safety, might as well go all the way, but we'll see. It's going to cost me an arm and a leg, and after all is said and done, could run me around $1000. Ouch. You can't mess around with chainsaws, though, and better safe than sorry. You can't put a price on your limbs.

I have narrowed my saw choice down to two-either the Stihl 270 or the 280. The 280 is a more powerful saw, and apparently easier to use since it has more "technology." Everyone promotes the idea that if you get a better saw (same weight, more power, about $100 more), your job will be quicker and easier. I'm not in a hurry, and bear in mind, I've never really used a chainsaw before... though I do have my chaps! I have a problem with compulsiveness in that when I set my mind on purchasing something, suddenly I feel I need the best, and am easily swayed into spending more money. Salespeople eat me alive. I think the 270 would be more than adequate, because I'm going to use it once a year. Granted, it's possible I'll cut a lot of wood, but once a year ain't so bad. Then again, should I go with a better machine. Everyone around me seems to think so, but then again, everyone around me is knee deep in credit card debt. I don't want to fall into that trap.

So I guess in the end, I'm leaning more to the 270, but we'll see. I need to talk to more of my gurus, who I'm sure will tell me to get the bigger saw. I almost fell into my own trap the other day because the 280 was on sale, but they pulled the same retail BS on me by saying that there was only one model left and then it was going back to the higher price. Act now or be sorry. I wasn't ready, because I'm going to have to do this piecemeal, one thing at a time. Did I mention I got my chaps? That way it won't be as painful. I figure I won't start cutting until the snow has melted and the ground has stabilized so the pile won't shift too much while I'm standing on it with my chainsaw.

Now the quest begins for some boots. This should be interesting.

I was thrown to the lions the other night in karate because our sensei hurt himself badly on an ATV and made ME teach the class. I was mortified, and in retrospect felt like I didn't do as good a job as I could have. It's hard to be an authority figure when you feel you have no authority, but the class was willing to listen, I just didn't know where to take them. It's another step in my training to be a leader when called upon, so I'll have to work on that. I felt terribly self conscious, and it's really hard when you're working with kids, but that's part of the game. Now, of course, I once again have the key, so more responsibilities to handle. That's all I need.

On a bright note, I met the mom of one of the students and she and her husband have an excavating business. They said they'd take a look at the driveway and get back to us with a quote. It's pretty bad right now, so hopefully this will not break us in half, because I think it needs to be done.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Lars Sundström for the pic.

No comments: