Thursday, November 10, 2011

Building More Walls

If you can believe this, we may have finished framing the walls for the upstairs. First it required that we come up with a plan, which is never easy for the likes of us, but it helps getting some expert advice from KB. He’s done a lot of houses, even his own, so he can give lots of practical advice. The layout of the upstairs is complicated by the fact that with no dormers, we lose a lot of head room as you get to the periphery of the room. You have to factor this in when you design toilets and sinks so you don’t bump your head. Not a problem for a short person like me, but for anyone over 5’10”, it will be an issue.

We designed the upstairs to have the main bathroom, a laundry room, and a small office/sewing room. It came out nicely, I think, and the other half can be an big open spaced bedroom, maybe with a loft feel. I always liked that chalet feel. With KB at the helm, we went to work. I helped out with a fair amount of the upstairs, and things really moved along. The framing is done, and the best part was when I had to leave, KB was more than able to take it from there. He even gave me jobs to do on my own, like cutting out some of the framing. Can’t let the man down, can I?

KB said the next thing will be to purchase toilets, sinks, and even a bath tub. This means going out and choosing a fixture, then buying it. Never an easy process for me, but you do what you gotta do. I think we ordered our upstairs toilet online, with free shipping, so we may go that route once again.

As for sinks and tubs, a trip to Home Depot is in the stars. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: