Thursday, February 10, 2011

Next Big Project

To some it might just look like a pile of wood, but for us, it represents unlimited possibilities. Actually, it’s just the making of some wood boxes the kids asked me to make for them. Incapable of doing it in a simple and easy way, I had to go and over-think the whole process, delaying the eventual realization of the dream, which could take years.

A said she wanted to have a box that was a certain size that she could hold some of her stuff in. She wanted it hinged, and with a latch to lock her belongings in. I thought it was a cool idea, and one that they could help me with, thus making it a family affair.

Of course, I couldn’t make one just for her since N might feel left out, so I had to get enough wood for two boxes, which was easy enough. A quick trip to Brittons and we were in business. I got some 1X12 pine, then picked up a piece of scrap plywood for next to nothing. We got the hinges and latch at Home Depot, and then it was just a question of cutting the wood, screwing it together, and then staining it.

My plan was to nail/glue/screw the overall shape, then have the kids nail in the top and bottom panels. Then they can sand and stain it, and before you know it, they’ll have their boxes. Piece of cake, right?

Unfortunately, I started out gangbusters, and then with all that’s going on, the project has stalled somewhat. I’d say we are about 60% finished, but once things come to a halt, they tend to stay that way, so I really need to get on the ball and just finish it.

I’m hoping to get it done this week Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: