Friday, February 18, 2011

New Lights

We needed a new light in the kitchen for a number of reasons, in addition to the fact that the old light was on the blink, both literally and figuratively. This, of course, entailed entering new territory for me, because I was going to have to rewire the electrical box to install the light, and while I was at it, I decided to increase the challenge by replacing the switch with a dimmer, as well. How's that for jumping in with both feet?

We got the light from Home Depot a few weeks back, and it sat around until I had the time and wherewithal to initiate this huge undertaking. I finally had some time the other day and went for it. The installation was not that bad, though I failed to follow the directions, which may as well have been in Yiddish, and had to redo it a few times because there are so many connections.

Either way, I got it done and set it all up. I need to go back and re-adjust the chain, but for the most part, it's in. I also need to tweak the bulb situation because the light is not as bright as I'd hoped it would be, but that shouldn't be too hard, and will add to the drama of it all.

Changing the switch was easy, though I still need to put a new face plate on, and that could take me years. It's nice to have a new light in the kitchen. Plus, we can dim it to the brightness we want, making candlelight meals a breeze. AND, I can win some points with my Mentor and JH and his magic bag of tools.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: