Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Continuing Attic Drama and Roof Rakes

Speaking of complacency, I plugged the gaping hole in the attic, and then stopped cold in my tracks. I've still got cover up that space between the frame and chimney, though I've also been told I should find the source of heat and stop that. Will it ever end? I do have an idea of where it might be coming from, and it's easy enough to address, though once again, I have to find out what the best (allowable?) approach is. It's one of those situations where caulking is your best friend.

In the meantime, I am poised and ready to put that skirt around the chimney. I've got the flashing and the caulk, and it should be pretty straightforward. One thing that ends up discouraging me is spending long periods of time in that cold, dark attic, where I have to negotiate my way around the joists and avoid breathing all that dust and fiberglass. Plus, it's cold, which is a good thing. It'd be nice to have some music, I'll work on that one.

I also got an extension on our roof rake, and I think it will do the job. I went to the Woodstock Home and Hardware and got an extension, and experienced firsthand the difference in customer service from two different people. I don't know if it's a gender thing, but the guys seemed intent on selling me something as quickly as possible and then being done with me, while the women were more conscientious and concerned. The extension piece I bought was a different brand than the one I currently have, but the design and shape are basically the same. I assumed it would be fine, and the guy behind the counter kept saying, "It'll be fine, don't worry," while the woman kept expressing concern. She said that the piece was specific for that brand and it might not fit. I just assumed they were all built the same. That makes sense, right?

Well, sure enough, when I got home, the pieces were slightly off. The holes that lock the pieces together are smaller, and of course they didn't lock in properlly. My first thought was, "Bummer, I should have listened to my mother," or some facsimile, thereof. I was ready to take the piece back and face their scorn when it suddenly dawned on me that I could always just drill the hole and make it bigger. Wow, a solution to my problems.

Sure enough, I enlarged the hole with the proper drill bit, and "voila!" I was back in business. I was going to call my Mentor but he would have just said, "Duh!" Either way, the extension makes a big difference in getting more snow off our roof. I've found it I get within a few feet of the apex, the icing problem is not nearly as bad, and I can sleep better at night.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: