Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Taking the Reigns... sort of

Something that is really been weighing on my mind is this concept of taking the reigns and being deliberate about one's life. I've been reading a book that is similar to Malcom Gladwell's book Outliers. The basic premise is that natural ability is just part of the story, if not an insignificant part, in terms of people's success. They go on to describe the life of Tiger Woods or Mozart (they always use these two guys) and how their lives were about practice and hard work, not simply genes. The book I'm currently reading, Talent is Overrated, goes so far as to say genes have nothing to do with success. While I don't buy that, it does bring up the concept of not just practice, but meaningful practice that accomplishes something and establishes a foundation. This I sort of accept, especially when it comes to things like playing guitar and karate.

Especially those two. I've been thinking a lot about karate and how I feel the need to spend more time each day in order to groom myself into the next Bruce Lee. At the very least I'll get into better shape, and there are countless benefits to dedicating yourself to something that has meaning in your life. Music falls into this category, as well as writing.

Anyway, it also got me to thinking about the barn, and various other projects around the house. I have a tendency to sit around and wait for things to happen, or for someone to tell me what to do, when in fact, the answers are right there in front of me. Just build the damn thing, you idiot. So, I think I need to assert myself a little more and just start doing things, at least the ones I can accomplish, which are more than you realize.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've sort of been waiting around for my Mentor to tell me what to do, when in fact I'm sure he'd be pleased if I just took the reigns and did it. So I will... sort of.

Stay tuned for more on this, and thanks for reading.

No comments: