Thursday, October 22, 2009

Good Help is Hard to Find

Just for the record, I never once believed I could do this on my own. In fact, I approached this project as if my Mentor was going to hold my hand and pretty much do everything while I sat back and took notes, but no such luck. And in the end, that's not how any learning experience should be. Sometimes you have to sweat and bleed a little before the hard lessons are tacked into your brain.

Case in point, this barn. My Mentor is busy with flying and he will be going back to Maine in November, so what the heck am I going to do? Well, rather than cry, or in addition to crying, I need to man up and deal with what needs to be dealt with. Which for a city-boy like myself means one thing: hire a contractor. I'll need to keep a standing supply of beer in the house, while sequestering the non-alcoholic stuff or else compromise my fragile standing the real man world.

The problem I run into is that I really want to be active in the building of this barn, for many reasons, but also as an integral part of my real man training. This complicates matters because really serious contractors don't want some Johnny-come-lately getting in their way, which I know I would. Also, they tend to hire their own crews. What I need is someone who is capable and reliable but is also willing to let me come in and destroy all their hard work. Someone who is not as uptight as me and will come in to help and assess but not dominate the project. Then, of course, can take the reigns when I have to go inside to make Rice Crispy Treats for the kids.

Well, finding this ideal candidate ain't easy, as you might have guessed. I got two responses when I called around. Either they never called me back, or were busy. How's that for getting shot down in flames? What is it with contractors? Don't they want our money?

I finally spoke with my karate teacher, CH, and I think he's the man. Besides being capable and trustworthy, he does it all, and is willing to work around our schedules. He even mentioned working at night. He is also a logger and does ceilings, but the time will tell where this one goes. I want to believe.

My Mentor also introduced me to a guy B who is a seasoned contractor and is willing to put up with my inadequacies, so things are looking up. But it's early, and there's much room for disappointment. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away. Our short term goal is to seal up that barn and work in the winter. I don't think this is unrealistic, but what do I know?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: