Sunday, May 24, 2009

Still Burning and No Word From Logger

I can't believe it, but we're still burning wood. In fact, yesterday was cold enough to need it. I thought I'd filled the wood box for the last time, but this might not be the case.

We're trying to get a feel for how much wood we burn, and I know we have enough for two years, it's just a question of how we stack it. I also have to confess that I rather like the cool weather because it makes doing yard work that much easier. I'm at the stage where I need to mow the lawn at least once a week, which is a pain but needs to be done.

The garden is on the verge of taking off, we still haven't planted anything but I think today will be the day. R's done a great job of clearing the weeds and getting the raised beds going, and the hay is covering the paths. It looks fantastic, and everyone is poised and ready to take off. Let the games begin.

We do have a recurring woodchuck problem, those buggers are a menace. It seems as if there is no stopping them. One left a gaping hole right in front of the garden, and I guess we should be thankful they didn't actually emerge "in" the garden, though give them time. I filled the hole with some blocks of hardwood (that I couldn't split) and then gravel, followed by huge rocks. Somehow I think he'll still find a way through, they always do. We'll have to keep an eye on that one. I did pee into the hole, thinking the scent might discourage him.

Today should be a good planting day, gray and drizzly, but not hot. I'm sure there'll be plenty of mosquitoes, though. The jury's still out on Cactus Juice, but I'm a believer. I think it drives them away, and it's kid safe. Better yet.

Farm fest is coming up, and I think we're going to have a booth for Transition Towns, but who knows. I'm not sure if anyone knows what's going on.

I still need to repair the deer fence, nothing major, and then finish painting the back and replacing clapboards. I need a truck, however, to get the boards since they're so big. There is a remote chance that in the next week we might get use of another car, but nothing definite, so I won't say anything. Best to keep quiet on these things.

Did I mention we need another car? The future is so uncertain, though, that we can't dive into it. Financial considerations make that a prudent way to go, but what a bummer it is being stranded. It makes me depressed, and makes it harder to have a social life, which we long for.

Gotta run and split wood. Our goal is to have all of next year's wood stacked and ready, then we can take our sweet time splitting the rest. Still haven't heard from the other logger to get our next six cords, but I'll call him next week. He seemed like a stand up guy, returned all of my calls, I just haven't heard from him. I'm ready to do more cutting with my chainsaw.

I contacted PD and told him I'd help him obtain his truckload by making the necessary calls and would even arrange for the delivery. He thanked me for the offer but had his own plan, so I think it will work out for him. I'd help him cut if he needed it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: