Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring-ing Into Action

Now that Spring is in the air, it’s time to think about the projects that have been in limbo, and the #1 priority is to get that barn finished. We made decent progress last Summer and then lost steam with the dumplings and then with the onset of Winter. Bummer. The first things that need to be done are to get the plumbing in, which will require R’s input as to a layout, and then a call to BS to get the job done. I hope he’s not mad that we bailed out over the Winter.

Also, need to order siding, which they can’t deliver until the roads are no longer posted, which will probably be in April/May. Once the siding arrives, need to paint and install, which may entail a call to JH and his magic bag of tools. I miss that guy. After the siding and plumbing, I’m guessing the water needs to be hooked up, and then the electrical followed by the interior walls and the floors. I can’t believe what goes into making a house. I will have to consult with my Mentor as to what follows, or PR, my brother in law/resident guru.

As for the home front, the FEBP has obviously stalled, but it will require some siding and painting. The dormers need to be finished off, and I realized that a trim board needs to be put up all around where the flashing for the roof was installed. This will require some time on the roof, which is always a drag.

I have the clapboards for the front step, which will need to be installed and painted, and then the front step finally secured. I have to say, I’m glad we addressed the front porch leak problem. There are assorted interior projects, the most pressing of which is to attack the trim and make it brighter. This will require a warm day where I can leave the doors and windows open for ventilation. Also, we need to finish the front vestibule, which will require flooring and some drywall, but again, I think I’ll need JH and his magic bag of tools on that one.

Let us not forget firewood, the garden, and then all the lawn care and yard maintenance. Boy, it makes you realize that Winter is the time to relax and have fun, because once Spring/Summer kick, there’s no time to even sweat.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: