Sunday, July 6, 2008

A New Week

One thing I've learned about being a homeowner and a real man in training is that the projects never end. While living in the city the standard M.O. is to pay people to do things for you, which unfortunately means every damn thing under the sun, life out here is so much different. People out here really make an effort to be self-sufficient, or at least capable. For the most part, they are very successful at it, and I admire and respect them for it.

So much so that I want to emulate them. For me, who is completely clueless about most things in life, it's a big step, if not huge. When you're at the bottom, you've got nowhere to go but up.

Our garden is slowly coming along, though slow is the key word here. Ruth has been working hard and I think she's doing a great job, though again, we're new at this and there is a lot to learn and incorporate for next year. It's exciting. My current projects include woodworking. I seem to be leaning towards that, except now, instead of just functional stuff, we want to make it look nice. I'm going to make some shelves and stain them so they match the furniture. Staining is something new to me and it's going to take some time getting my colors straight.

I find it all so intimidating, especially working around all the guys at the lumber yard. I get a sense they find me amusing, though they are incredibly helpful and very cool. They sense my helplessness and in the end, they're just doing their job. Also going to replace clapboards, which scares the hell out of me.

New tools are a miter saw and a orbital sander. Now I have no excuse, I have to start building. Need to get some wood.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

No comments: