Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It All Begins With A Floorplan

Wow, we finally got the floor plan together enough to show to my Mentor and he actually seemed pleased. Will wonders never cease? Everything seemed contingent on getting that darn floor plan together, and then the project could really begin. The real problem boiled down to starting from scratch. I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't the faintest idea where to begin. For most people we know, designing a house is fun and exciting, but for me it was like pulling teeth. How am I supposed to know what sort of bathroom I want or where to put the kitchen sink? I've never made these decisions and just took it for granted that they would be where they were supposed to be when I entered a house.

To complicate the matter, it's difficult to envision rooms in 3-D when you're sketching them in 2-D. The translation is not as clear as you'd think.

Either way, R decided that the time had come, and I sat down and drew a rough sketch based on PD's previous measurements, and then R and I sat down and talked about what should go where. In the end, she did most of the hard thinking, I did what I do best, i.e., nod my head and agree. It was the best I could do given the circumstances. One thing nice was that after R had shared her logic, a lot of things began to make perfect sense.

Best of all, when my Mentor came over and had a look, I got the impression that he approved, and he even seemed pleased. Maybe he was just glad that we got our act together. Whatever be the case, I could see that grin that said, "F, you're not such a loser, after all." I guess I fooled him.

We did a quick walk through to hash out some details, and then he went about contacting the relevant people: the plumber and the electrician. I've been told that they are the first people to have come in before we do things like dig the septic.

So we are on our way. The question is, where the heck are we going? Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mac-Leod for the pic.

No comments: