Friday, August 8, 2008

More Rain

Here we are, Friday, and what must be the sixth of seventh consecutive day of rain, with no relief in sight. I look back on my drought plagued time in California in wonder and can't help but think this is unusual, even for a place like Vermont. Maybe the weather is simply waiting for me to finish our picnic table so we can get have nice weather in which to use it.

On that note, I am trying desperately to finish our table, and for the record, I did not make it, but bought it at my favorite lumber yard, Britton's (they delivered it). I am treating the wood so it doesn't get fried in it's first year, but man are there a lot of pieces to consider. Since we are going to eat on it, I've opted for an eco-friendly stain and finish, and am curious to see how it goes. This is a new product that is soy-based and all natural. I love that idea, but am unsure as to it's effectiveness over time, and for that matter, in the short term. Whatever be the case, my thoughts thus far are overwhelmingly positive, but perhaps it's because I want them to be.

And then there's the rain. Needless to say, we've had some issues with moisture in the house, and not only does it stay damp and uncomfortable, but we worry about mold. We need some dry, warm sunny days to dry things out. I sealed out front deck, again with the eco-stuff, but made the mistake of sealing the tiles, which are not porous. I do think the sealing of the grout helped, because I can see water collecting in pools, which are subsequently not soaking the foundation.

So much to learn, so much to write about, so little time. I still need a hole saw for the table, but I think I can borrow that one.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: