Monday, June 16, 2008

Things Might Be Moving

In a state where you couldn't spit without hitting a capable real man, I feel like I've got to take some initiative and make things happen. It helps to have friends who are real men. We need to finish this barn.

We have an unfinished barn that we want to make into a livable space, which is pretty huge undertaking. Now if it were any of my contractor friends the job would be a no-brainer. Just do it, but of course, I'm not them, and have no clue where to begin.

But there is a glimmer of light. My friend Gary said he might be able to help walk us through the process of designing, building and getting permits. It would be killer to have some help, though I feel inadequate that I'm incapable of doing myself, but what else is new. This could get interesting.

The first step is resolving the septic system issue. This has been a thorn in my side for the past six months, the first step to making this all happen and it's a giant one. Paul Dirksen has told us that nothing is going to happen until this gets done, which I think is kind of lame, but he calls the shots.

Now getting a septic system design and approval requires an engineer. I contacted one group and they said that it can pretty much be done in any situation, almost as if it wouldn't be a problem. He said this sight unseen, and seemed pretty sure about it. The engineers do the consulting, file the paperwork and do the design. The price was steep, though, and I've been told that there is a lot of work involved.

Either way, Gary said he might be available to consult, and I'd jump at the chance. Not sure what he's charging, but he's a great guy, and I trust him.

Ruth has been painting walls, I need to keep peeling wallpaper and get more walls ready. I also need to think about getting the shelves made. More to come. Thanks for reading and take care.

No comments: