Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Great Outdoors

As I mentioned, Spring is here. As much as I love the snow and am sad to see it all go, it's great to see more sunlight and to have warm weather, for a number of reasons, the most of important of which is that the kids get to go out and play with reckless abandon.

The mornings are my favorite times. The beauty of a Vermont morning is hard to put into words, especially when you live back in the woods as we do. The music of the birds fills the air, and cool morning feels good. I might even begin writing outside. Now there's an idea.

Okay, enough waxing poetic. Spring also means a whole slew of practical issues. The grass is starting to grow, the garden needs attending to, and home improvement begins full tilt. Am I man enough for it all? I need to be, my family needs me to be.

We had a huge problem with our driveway earlier this month. Since it's essentially a dirt road, with hard pack nearer the house (listen to me, like I'm an expert), after the snow melted we had some serious mud, which I think is worse than snow. This presented me and the kids with an opportunity to get outside and try to make a difference.

So, with shovels in hand, we went out and filled in the potholes. It amazes me how much fun it can be just doing seemingly mundane things when you have kids around. We filled in holes and patched up grooves, and though it looked terrible, I do believe we solved the problem. Over time I think the ground will smooth out, but at the very least, we won't get stuck.

At least not yet. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: